Re: Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 11:41:24PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19980919152857.A2532@debian>,  <matt@debian.debian.org> wrote:
> >     VFS: Can't open root device 03:01
> >     Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01
>
> Sounds like you didn't compile in the driver for your harddisk. You
> did compile in (not as module) the IDE driver right? And support
> for the ext2 filesystem?

Looks like missing IDE support was my problem.  I had read only the beginning of the help on the Enhanced IDE support:

    "... the full-featured IDE driver to control up to four IDE interfaces ..."

and had figured that, since I have only two IDE drives, I did not need this "full-featured" driver.  If I had read further:

    "... If you have one or more IDE drives, say Y ..."

I could have spared us this thread.  Well, problem solved, and thanks for your help.  Lesson learned: R(all)TFM.

Matt Miller