Re: After ftp upgrade of slink, module loading fails

Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> > After allowing an upgrade of slink packages without watching too
> > closely, I then discovered that the auto loading of modules
> > (ppp,sound,vfat) fails for all modules.  I can use insmod to *manually*
> > load these modules (in dependency order) and everything works.  The
> > modules.dep file is correct (depmod -a doesn't help), it has the right
> > dependencies and locations.  I have done nothing to the kernel; no new
> > kernel.  I booted up this morning with everything working, connected to
> > an ftp site with dselect, allowed it to upgrade about a dozen packages,
> > and afterword all module loading is broken.  Anybody seen this?
>
> i got hit with this one too, but good, yesterday.  I noticed something
> going to slink about modules being handled differently, but the message
> and the instructions flew by.
>
> Having caught that it had something to do with modules, i reinstalled
> modconf & modutils from hamm, and seems to work again.

	This did it; I didn't have modconf installed, but downgrading modutils
solved the problem.  THANK YOU.

	PS:  The problem must have something to do with the /etc/modutils/
config files in the slink package.  The /etc/modutils/ dir is a recent
development isn't it?

--
Ed C.