My clock troubles me unexpectedly

Hello list,
somehow the time settings on my machine are messed up. The reason is:
/sbin/hwclock does not work anymore. Instead it gives this error message:

$ hwclock --test --debug
Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno = No such file or directory (2).  falling back to more primitive clock access method.
Using direct I/O instructions to ISA clock.
Waiting for clock tick...
...got clock tick
Time read from Hardware Clock: 09:24:36
mktime() failed unexpectedly (rc -1).  Aborting.

$ date
Wed Sep 16 11:24:38 CEST 1998

Now I live two hours in the future because the time gets set wrong at
boot time. Anyone has an idea how to repair this? The package version of
hwclock is: util-linux 2.7.1-3
--
						     __    __
 Frank Barknecht	   ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______