Re: How to start PPP?

> Okay; I give up on the documentation. Maybe someone on the list can help.

I think you are too hasty about it. In general, documantation is not easy to
read and understand, but it is a great source for help.

As for your problem:
1) Check Debian's FAQ-O-MATIC. I don't know what it has but I think there is
relevant info.
2) Try to test the connection as root. Permitions problems are quite common
and testing the connection as root helps to examine them.
3) Try to cahnge the references from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1 (if your modem
on COM2, /dev/ttyS2 if it is on COM3, etc).
4) Have a look at the relevant log lines abd see if that help you focous on
the problem.
5) Install minicom and see if you can call your ISP with it, and what is their
response.
6) Mail the list if you need further help. Attaching the relevant log file
lines is desirable.