Re: problem with installation

>bianxu@263.net wrote:
>>
>>   I got a problem when I installed debian-linux according to the
installation guide.

>> Hardware: 32 RAM/2 GB disk/IBM compatable 586
>>
>> 1. Installation with disk
>>
>>    I copied files:resc1440.bin,drv1440.bin,base2_0.tgz,linux,install.bat
and loadin.exe into DOS directory. when I started install.bat ... got error
messages like: 'I/O error'

>> 2. Installation with floppy disks
>>   I put the resc1440.bin into drive A and restarted the computer. After
the 'boot:' prompt was appeared , I took many choice for boot prompt but
all failed and got message like 'con't mount VFS '...

At 02:52 AM 9/18/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Your problem must be perplexing. I just installed a machine last night
>with floppies with nary a problem. There may be something in the way
>your box is reading the floppy drive during boot. I used rawrite to
>create the rescue disk, driver disk, and the five bin disks, then stuck
>the rescue in the box to which I was loading Linux, and pressed reset.
>Maybe you may want to recreate your disk on fresh floppies. Floppy disks
>can be tempermental, and flake out on a moments notice.
>
>Mike

I'm not sure, but it sounds like bianxu is trying to install from an
existing hard drive partition instead of from floppies. I've never done
this (but plan to in the next few days), so I'm not sure how things are
supposed to look. My first suspicion is that the drive partition he's
trying to install from is of a file type that Linux doesn't recognize (like
maybe FAT32 or something).

Kent
Kent West			| Technology Support/                 		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|