Re: core dump user + memory map

"M.C. Vernon" <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:
| 	I understand that it should be possible to feed core to an editor
| that will clear it up (remove lines of nulls for example), and will show
| the hex characters and ascii equivalents. In addition the c compiler
| should I think be able to produce a memory map as well, in order to make
| looking at the core worthwhile.

I've never heard of this. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I
don't know of any utilities with the capabilities you mention. On the
other hand most debuggers WILL make use of the core and tell you the
state of the program when it dumped core. Install the gdb package and
do a "man gdb".

Using a debugger like this allows you to show where the program dumped
core and you can examine variables/memory at the time of the core
dump. Of course if the program that dumped core wasn't compiled with
debug information the core is of very minimal use.

Gary