passwd oddity

Hi everyone,

I administer a number of machines which have the same superuser
password.  Some of them are PC's running debian.  Some of the PC users
are quite able to administer their own machines.  So I added extra root
accounts.  In /etc/passwd this looks like

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
superdanny:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

The problem is the following: some day Danny wants to change his
`superdanny' passwd and he types:

$ su superdanny
Password:<his passwd>
# passwd

Then two things happen that I don't like:
1) He isn't asked for the old password,
2) the password of root is changed, not that of superdanny

Now I wonder: once logged in as `superdanny', is there a way for the
system to know that, despite uid being 0, this is superdanny, and not
root;  and if there is a way, would the two points above classify as bugs?

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032