Re: cdrom

> E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > In what group should a user be to be able to play an audio-cdrom ??
> > > current user is in:  bin lp mail cdrom audio dip
> >
> > The logical group would be audio.  To play an audio CD a user needs
> > write access to the CD device.  What I did was change the group owner of
> > my cdrom device from `disk' to `audio':
> >
> > chgrp audio /dev/hdb
> >
> > Make sure you only change this for the cdrom device, you don't want to
> > give every user in group audio permission to format any ide disks!
>
> Hello:
>
> What i did was add the user to the disk group... now the question
> is what acces has now this user. beeng in disk group give you
> access to do anything with floppys, Cdroms, HD, etc.   isnit ??

It gives you access to do anything with raw disk devices, there is a
separate `floppy' group.  A user in the disk group could destroy a
partition table if (s)he accidentilly did

cat <file> > /dev/hda

or something like that.  For daily use you don't want users (including
yourself) to be a member of this group.  It could be convenient to be a
member of the `floppy' group, since ordinary users may sometimes want to
format a floppy.

> How can i know what is able to do people in a group ??  Only
> searching for  files and grep the ones that are marked as
> <group>  and figuring out for what are these files ??

This is the drastic way of doing it.  Most group names are rather obvious
in what they mean though.  Does anyone know if it is documented anywhere
what the debian groups are for?

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032