Re: Debian DSELECT

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
Martin> X-Mailer: Mutt 0.93.2i

Joris> 2. D O C U M E N T A T I O N ( why all these cryptic files and no real
Joris> database ??? HTML yes?)

There are manpages, which are often quite good help if all you need is a
summary and a reminder of what things do.  From all the Linux distributions,
Debian has the best man-db setup.

There are the GNU Info files.  There are numerous documents written in
postscript, there are the books from O'Reilly and you have the Debian
documentation project.

One of the strong points of a Linux based system is that there is so much
documentation about.

Maybe you don't know yet what you are looking for...

Martin> There is a real database.  It's called PostgreSQL and comes as a
Martin> set of *ponder* five packages, or so.

Indeed.  I am very happy with PostgreSQL.  Can only recommend it.... Oracle
and Sybase have announced support for Linux too...

Joris> Installing and removing LOOKS easy but there's very little REAL
Joris> version/dependency checking done.

<McEnroe>
	You cannot be serious!
</McEnroe>

>> Geez, sometimes i start thinking of winDOWs as a better platform just
>> because one can ****up a system

Martin> ???

Huh?

Martin> Maybe it's a major lack in the whole community that there are only
Martin> not free wordprocessors?  I have to admit that I don't need such
Martin> programs since I'm able to use the power of LaTeX.

Not really.  Why should one make such demands when there are very good
alternatives around.  I once showed a LaTeX'd document to a high court judge,
and he was so impressed with it that he actually started to learn to write
LaTeX although he never bothered writing a single line of code.  He was the
opinion that the documents just look so much better with LaTeX, and I agree.

--
Nicolai P Guba
	BT Laboratories			GNU Project