Smail and local machines

Hello,
   I am having trouble getting smail to deliver
mail between my local machines.  I have a private
network setup with a debian box running as the
news and mail server.

What I am unable to do is get the debian box (daffy)
to send mail to another box (tweety).  The /etc/hosts
file has the correct ip# and names for all my local
machines, but smail tries to do a dns lookup on tweety
and when it cannot find one it sends the mail to
the smart host, my ISP.

How can I get smail to use the /etc/hosts file before
trying to do a dns lookup?

I know that sendmail will do this, but smail is already
up and running and up until know I have had no trouble
with it.

Thanks
A. Paul