Failure to recompile a system library (pthreads) under Debian 2.0

Folks,

I recently migrated from 1.3.1 to 2.0.  I need to recompile the
pthreads library with different signals for compatibility with the
LAM MPI implementation.  This worked fine under 1.3.1.

However, now I get large numbers of redefines from *.h inclusions
ending in failure to compile even the first object.  I'm using
the original source from the source directory.

I'm sure I'm making some sort of newbie mistake.  Can anyone
give me a clue?

Thanks!

--Martin