Re: sendmail rejecting bad domains

     Peter Iannarelli <peter@genxl.com>
> Subject: Re: sendmail rejecting bad domains

>     Rick> The sender will need to setup sendmail to masquerade as his
>     Rick> firewall.
>
> In my case, telling my customer to change his configuration is not and
> acceptable option.  I need my sendmail to be more forgiving.

No problem... add this to your sendmail.mc and regenerate:
FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)dnl
you may also wish to add
FEATURE(accept_unqualified_senders)dnl
to allow those b0rked clients using HELO host /* with no domain */

> Hmmm.  I guess I need to convert from sendmail to smail as I can't
> find anything in the sendmail documentation on this.  Is there any
> other option?  I think I tried smail first on my mail server machine,
> but I thought I had problems getting it to act as a relay for other
> nodes on my network, which are running sendmail.  Yuck.

Ack... no need for that ;-}  The above changes will allow your machine
to accept mail from your customer...

In /usr/doc/sendmail/RELEASE_NOTES you'll find the changes - really
important since the bat book (v2) only goes to 8.8; Even with the
changes, it can be hard to figure out sometimes...

Thats where this list comes in;  Unfortunately, my time has been *very*
limited of late and I've not been able to frequent the list or IRC ;-{

If I can't be found elsewhere, mail to cowboy@debian.org or
cowboy@vnet.ibm.com is usually answered promptly.

> Thanks for the suggestions.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes