Re: HELP!! keep me Debian.......

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Person, Rod wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm haveing major problems. After I decided to switch to KDE, I've had
> nothing but problems. For one binutils 2.9 will not install now matter
> what I do and it would uninstall either. When I try I get the error.
> 	write error locking to directory!! directory or file does not
> exist.

Sounds like the directory you want to install into is not mounted (see
below)...

> If I try to remove it, it tells me it too broken to remove re-install!!!
>
> Problem #2....when I run dselect it's trying to upgrade dpkg-perl. I
> downloaded every dpkg package I found an none where dpkg-perl so now I
> can't use dselect!! What the deal.

What media did you use for installation ? CD , FTP ? Could it be you mixed
up different ditributions, like e.g. hamm and slink ?

You don't need to use dselect to install packages, dselect is just a
user frontend to dpkg, the actual package manager.
See dpkg --help or man dpkg for information. Installing is as easy as
downloading the package and issueing: dpkg -i <package>.deb

> mounting file system.....
> not mounting anything.

Umm, if indeed your /usr partition is to be mounted there then it means
you are in big trouble !
Have a look at /etc/fstab and mail us the contents...

Regards,

       /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Research Student @
      (    \/  __)_        www.fmf.uni-freiburg.de, Germany
       )   (_____  /       for PGP PKey and WWW-Page finger