trouble with HDD

Hi there,

my apologies should anyone feel that this question is very off-topic,
but I can find no solution to it:

I have an IDE hard disk as a secondary master, and an IomegaZip
drive (also IDE) as a secondary slave.  Both seem to be recognized
and detected by the BIOS, and even detected by Linux at
booting... although with some error messages.

When I switch the terminal on, just before the Lilo: prompt line, I
get the following:

   System Configurations
Pri. Master Disk: LBA ,Mode 4, 1280MB
Pri. Slave Disk: None
Sec. Master Disk: CHS ,Mode 3, 545MB
Sec. Slave Disk: None

PCI device listing
Bus no.  Device no.  Func.no.  VendorID  DevID  DevClass       IRQ
0            7               1              8086       7010
IDEController 14 0            11              0             5333      8811
   DisplayContr  9

---

In my BIOS, in the Standard CMOS Setup, there's the following
info configured:

                    type  size  cyls  head  precomp  landz  sector  mode
Sec. Master  User  545   1057 16     65535      1056   63  NORMAL

So, the disk drive is recognized up to that point, or so I believe.
But if I try to make a 'fdisk":

(With Linux fdisk)
FATAL ERROR: Cannot read disk drive
Press any key to exit fdisk

(With DOS fdisk)
No fixed disk present

Now these are the Linux starting messages:

Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
ide-floppy: hdd: I/O error, pc = 5a, key = 5, asc = 24, ascq = 0
ide-floppy: Can't get drive capability
hdd: 98304kB, 32/64/96 CHS, 4096kBps, 512 sector size, 2941rpm
 hdc:hdc: read_intr: error=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequestError }
hdc: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=0,
sector=0
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 0
     unable to read partition table

Has anyone had this problem?  Could anyone help me with it?  Is
there any solution, or should I try a Low Level Format?  What could
be the consequence of formatting at low level from the BIOS?

Thank you in advance,

El hombre-masa actual es, en efecto, un primitivo,
que por los bastidores se ha deslizado en el viejo
escenario de la civilización.
   Ortega y Gasset - La Rebelión de las Masas.

Horacio
homega@vlc.servicom.es