Broken emacs

I found some references to this in the July and August archives,
but has no fix been found for the emacs19 & emacs20 packages?
My apologies if there has been more recent discussion which I
did not find in my search.

As far as I could tell, some people got them to install by
removing certain other packages, specifically "tm".  I have no
such package installed but installation STILL fails with emacs19
and emacs20.

I've done an essentially complete upgrade from bo to hamm, and
ended up purging the old "emacs" to start afresh when I met with
the initial errors.

The error message is the following:

emacs-install emacs19
emacsen-common: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs19
emacsen-common: byte-compiling for emacs19
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/19.34/site-lisp' does
not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
Cannot open load file: bytecomp
emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/emacsen-common
emacs19 xemacs20 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 26.
dpkg: error processing emacs19 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
 emacs19

...and similarly for emacs20.  The lisp directory error seems to be
irrelevant.  The alternative solution from the archives, which I
eventually resorted to, is installation of xemacs, but it seems
more bulky than emacs and I use emacs typically in text mode anyway.

Does anyone have a fix in the works?  Or is there a list of
conflicting packages which need to be upgraded or removed in
order to do the installation?

Thanks in advance for the help,

David

P.S.  If responding to the Debian-user list, please cc me in
response since I am not presently a subscriber, thanks.