Re: Broken emacs

I had a similar problem. How I solved it was to remove ALL
emacs packages including setup files. Re-install, being carefull
to install EXACTLY ONE emacs package. You may also install
EXACTLY ONE XEmacs package and get it to work. It appears that
it is quite easy to install more than one version of emacs
without it complaining, but then it will not configure without
complaining. I do not know if this is considered a bug or if
it has been submitted as one. Just know that this is what worked
for me.