Re: Compiling XFree86 -- no makefile in doc directory...?

Hi,

I have been working on building XFree86, though the version on the CD's
I think just before yours.

After some time comsuming experimentation (it's big!) and finding
libraries I did not have -dev versions of (joystick and libz), I
found the following sequence to work for me:

cd "wherever"
dpkg-source -x blah.dsc
debian/rules clean
debian/rules build
debian/rules binary .

Policy says that only debian/rules binary should be necessary, but I
had problems.  There were permission problems the clean fixed.  I
could be wrong, but it appears to me that binary does not have build
as a prerequisite and so several things that build does don't get done.
I do not file a bug not being sure and I'm sure I would have problems
maintaining such a large package.

You may want to see if you can get unmodified source to build before
modifying.

I have a 33MH 486 making each attempt ~24 hrs, so this is not
extensively
checked out, but it appears to have worked for me.

Any comments from Debian X developers appreciated.

drb