Compiling XFree86 -- no makefile in doc directory...?

Hi there,

I've got the xfree86_3.3.2.3.orig.tar.gz and xfree86_3.3.2.3-1.diff
files.

I'm trying to compile my own Xfree86 to a) use PGCC 1.1b optimizations
and b) compile XTT (X TrueType) into it hopefully.

I unpack the .tar.gz file, apply my patches succesfully, and run

debian/rules binary

I get pretty far, but then it chokes on:

----
... stuff here ...
cleaning in ./doc
entering directory .../xfree86/doc
*** No rule to make target "clean". Stop.

and then of course, it bails out on me.

Sure enough, the doc directory has a blank makefile.  I tried just
putting a "clean::" into it but that didn't work.

What can I do?  Has anyone else encountered this?  Does someone have a
valid doc makefile that I can use?  Or can otherwise clue me in on what
I am missing?

Your help is *greatly* appreciated.

sincerely,

Preston Landers