HELP: Even More Problems Configuring Email

I have figured out a cheap way to use PPP a regular user .... login as root,
connect, log back out, log in as a regular user...

But, now I want to be able to receive e-mail.  I have installed SMAIL.  I
believe I have all the config options set correctly.  I can send e-mail, but
I cannot recieve it.

The one file I know to look at is my SMAIL config.

What other files are involved in this process and need to be configured?  (I
have tried looking on the Debian site, but found nothing that was of any
help.  I have also been scouring this book book on LINUX from Walnut Creek.)

Thank for all your help,

Denis