Re: Gateway monitors and X

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, David Wright wrote:

> On 10 Sep 1998, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
>
> > Brian Sheehan <osiochain@tinet.ie> writes:
> >
> > > i would be glad to hear from people who have gotten (or not) X running
> > > with a gateway monitor (in particular an EV700)
> > >
> > Have you tried the Linux Monitor Data Base
> > (http://cande.dyn.ml.org/monitors/)?
>
> I think I ought to enquire where LMD got their figures from,
> who checks them, and why they don't have some sort of disclaimer
> on the web page in case people use their figures without thinking.
I just added a disclaimer.
A few of the timings come from the people out in the world that have those
monitors and have sent me the info.
I have no way to verify all the monitor settigns I have.  I only have two
monitors, and they work with what info I found

> Fortunately, I think the EV700 protects itself from abuse, but many
> older monitors will fry themselves trying to synchronise to an
> out-of-spec signal.
>
> I can only think that the person entering the figures didn't read
> the prompts/headings. 120kHz indeed...
>
> >From the book (Gateway part # 3828TUO001T) H= 30-69kHz,
> V= 50-110Hz. (My own settings erred on the conservative side, Brian.)

I just added the Gateway monitos listed on the Gateway website, and they
do list 110, not 120...

Evan