Boot problems with lilo

I decided since i was moving into a new apartment and planning on working
towards that lofty goal of having my network connected to the net 24-7
(if I could only convince my girlfriend that $70/month is not too much $),
It is time to move the modem out of MY workstation and into another box.

I dug out my Shit-Box (packard bell Pentium 100). I threw in a WD caviar
hard drive (4 gig). Debian installed fine...upgrade to slink went excellent..
2.1.119 kernel works flawlessly.

The damned thing just wont boot! I need to use a boot disk every single time.
I did the debian install on a CLEAN drive. I don't run ANYTHING other
than Linux on any of my machines (not even the SPARCstations ;) ).
It goes through the POST, then tries to boot...
I get an "LI" then it halts. It just stops dead right there.

I have used this machine (same machine almost exactly except
for the hard drive) with Linux before....and this hard drive gave me the
SAME problem in another machine.

Any ideas why lilo is unwilling to work on this drive?
The drive has about 8000 (aprox) cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors (obviously)

I generally partition as most of the drive is / and the last 128 MB or so
is my swap partition...just 2 partitions.

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"