Re: LinuxCentral CDROM

I'm not the expert on Debian's finances, but here's my understanding.
Nils, please correct me where I'm wrong.

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 10:14:45PM -0700, ... wrote:
> 	I was about to place an order for the 3 CD set of Debian 2.0 from
> Linux Central and noticed that you can donate $5 of your purchase towards
> the Debian project.  I was wondering, who gets this money?  Is it SPI?

Yes. With the recent changes in the SPI board, all board members of SPI are
active Debian developers. SPI was originally set up to handle legal and
financial aspects of Debian, and possibly other projects, and that's what it
is doing.

> Does it go to pay for servers/bandwith for the main HTTP/FTP sites?

As far as I know, all bandwith is donated, as well as the servers to a large
degree. The money is used for a lot of different things, including
- domain registration fees for debian.org
- some hardware acquisitions
- hiring booth space on Linux related trade shows
- membership costs for Linux International
and probably lots of other similiar things.

HTH,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks