Re: HELP: More Problems Configuring Email

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 04:13:06PM -0300, Ralph Winslow wrote:
> When Jack Kern wrote, I replied:
>
> For reference my .fetchmailrci, as previously attached:
>
> poll mail.my_isp.net protocol pop3 username rjw password secret_word
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 10:33:11AM -0300, Ralph Winslow wrote:
> > > When Art Lemasters wrote, I replied:
> > [...]
> > > wasn't much help.  My current state is:
> > >
> > > when I rune fetchmail, it responds:
> > > fetchmail: 36 messages at mail.my_isp.net
> > > reading message 1 of 36 (1732 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to
> > > localhost failed: connection refused
> > > fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.my_isp.net
> > [...]
> >
> > fetchmail is configured by default to use smtp to receive mail.
> > Check /etc/inetd.conf.  It should have something like the following.
> >
> > #:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
> > smtp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.smtpd
> >
> > fetchmail is trying to use in.smtpd and the connection is being refused.
>
> But I thought that the phrase "protocol pop3" in ~rjw/.fetchmailrc
> would make fetchmail use pop3 instead.  In any case, I found an
> active line for smtp, and commented-out lines for pop-2 and pop-3.
> I commented smtp out and pop-3 in, but even after a /etc/sbin/netbase
> restart, sendmail still gets the same SMTP errors.  Was ist lose? Auch

fetchmail will use "protocol pop3" to fetch the mail from your isp
server.  fetchmail then wants to deliver the mail via smtp to your
system where smail, sendmail, exim, or whatever, will take over.

Did you mean to say that you "commented smtp out"?

Sorry, I am having trouble following you.  Please try leaving the smtp
line _uncommented_ in /etc/inetd.conf (as noted above)  and then doing
(as root) killall -HUP inetd.  That should wake up smtp and get your
mail delivered.

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux