Re: HELP: More Problems Configuring Email

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 10:33:11AM -0300, Ralph Winslow wrote:
> When Art Lemasters wrote, I replied:
[...]
> wasn't much help.  My current state is:
>
> when I rune fetchmail, it responds:
> fetchmail: 36 messages at mail.my_isp.net
> reading message 1 of 36 (1732 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to
> localhost failed: connection refused
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.my_isp.net
[...]

fetchmail is configured by default to use smtp to receive mail.
Check /etc/inetd.conf.  It should have something like the following.

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.smtpd

fetchmail is trying to use in.smtpd and the connection is being refused.

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux