Re: DEBIAN 2.0 INSTALL BLOCK DEVICE NAME

> BOB'S MAIL wrote:
>
> I am a first time installer of Debian Linux 2.0 with Win 98 on the
> computer.
>
> What to I enter when on the installation program so I can get Emacs, X
> etc. when installing from the Binary i386 CD  I read:
>
>     Insert the CD Rom with the block device name:
>
> I enter:
>
>     /dev/hda3, (have tried /dev/hda4 & /dev/hda5 with similar results)
>
> I get:
>
>     Wrong FS type bad option and super block ON /dev/hda3
>
> The preceding install went fine.  I do have a rudimentary Linux system
> with at least VI....
>
> I have Win98 on partition 1 and data on extended partition 2.
> Extended partition
> 3 was adjusted during installation to 1,900 Mb Linux (native) and a
> 190 Mb
> swap pertition by the Linux install.
>
> How to I look at the Linux partitions and adjust/delete them to start
> clean
> again (if that is needed)?
>
> I am using a Pentium 2, 300 MHz, 64 Mb ram, 6.4 Gb HD and an IDE
> CD-Rom on
> the secondary (primary) IDE port.
>
> Again, What to I enter when on program installation I read:
>
>     Insert the CD Rom with the block device name:
>
> TIA
>
> Bob Barth
> olympic@netamerica.com

Your CDROM device can not be /dev/hda - it is your HDD, and /dev/hda3,
/dev/hda4, etc., are partitions on your disk. CDROM should be something
like /dev/hdb(primary slave), /dev/hdc(secondary master) or
/dev/hdd(secondary slave).

--
Andrius Sabanas
- mailto:andsh@taide.lt