Re: Debian and Reh Hat Questions

Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> Dip is for an old package called 'dip'. It was sort of line 'pon' I think. Since the
> package has long since gone away I find it annoying we're still stuck with the group.

On the contrary, dip is still available in slink.  I use it to dial up
my ISP since it's the only package that does SLIP.

Noel

~ $ dpkg --status dip
Package: dip
Section: net
Installed-Size: 202
Maintainer: Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org>
Version: 3.3.7p-2
Replaces: netstd (<= 2.14)
Depends: libc6, liblockdev0g
Conffiles:
 /etc/diphosts 7cbf2c9d02415cd75fafac56a6c62dc8
 /etc/slip.dip 0907d6a1717749ea2827498f5bfa4ec5
 /etc/ppp.dip 4fbc6b28e998e7fa098d08e0ab1efae4
 This program handles the connections needed for dialup IP links, like
 SLIP or PPP. It can handle both incoming and outgoing connections,
 using password security for incoming connections.