Re: Debian and Reh Hat Questions

On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 06:39:19AM -0700, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> Couple of questions concerning Debian Linux:
>
> 1. How can I install .deb packages in RehHat?

The same way you install RPMs in Debian: using Alien
(http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/).

> 2. Can PPP be initiated by a user rather than by the "root"?

Yes. If the user is part of the group which owns the dial out devices (with
Debian, that's group "dialout").

> 3. X server does not recognize SVGA server and boot into VGA 8 bit
> mode. Can I remove VGA mode completely off of the XF86Config file?

You can set the default X server in /etc/X11/Xserver .

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,