Re: Debian and Reh Hat Questions

Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:

> Couple of questions concerning Debian Linux:
>
> 1. How can I install .deb packages in RehHat?

	Not likely.  There is a prog called alien that can install a rpm
package on Debian, but it doesn't work all the time.  I don't know if
there is an equivalent for this in RH.  In general, this isn't a good
idea, as there are significant differences between the 2 distributions.

> 2. Can PPP be initiated by a user rather than by the "root"?

	As others have said:  use the dip group and check access permissions
for /etc/ppp and /etc/chatscripts.

> 3. X server does not recognize SVGA server and boot into VGA 8 bit
> mode. Can I remove VGA mode completely off of the XF86Config file?

	When you installed the SVGA X server, it should have asked you if you
want to make it the default server.  Answering 'y' should have solved
this problem.  Anyway, look on the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver, put
the full path+name for the server you want.  In may Xserver file (I use
SVGA) it says '/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA' on the first line.

--
Ed C.