Can't boot past the Takaya

Debian 2.0 has been great for me, so I have friend who has become
interested and I just tried to install on his machine.  I can
begin the boot from the CDROM, but during the hardware detection,
the machine halts right here:

ttystuff ...
ide stuff ... (probably should have written this down)
hda: Quantum Fireball
hdb: DF6910C(-D18)2, ATAPI CDROM drive
  --------- Machine Halts ----------

The CDROM is, clearly a well known brand :-(, Takaya CD-812.
Same results no matter if I boot from CDROM or a rescue floppy I had.

Is it possible this is a proprietary CDROM and he needs to buy
a new CDROM?  Clearly the BIOS can load Linux from the CD.
Before I suggest he spend money and possibly be
further dissapointed, I would appreciate it if anyone who might have
experienced this would let me know if this is correct or point
me in the right direction.

Should I get past this, I will be staring down an SC-OPTI 16 bit
PNP sound card.  Does anybody know what kernel compile sound options
are required for this card, or should he write a bigger check?

I'm going to find out what shop he bought from and blot it out
of my phone book.

If anyone can help, thanks.

E-Mail: Bill Wilson <billw@wt.net>