Re: X11 installation problems

As Peter suggests below, you can run xf86config (as root) from outside of
dselect to create the XF86Config file. Alternatively, you can run XF86Setup
for a graphical routine to create the file. I've found that if one of these
doesn't produce a useable XF86Config file, sometimes the other routine will
(although the difference may only be in the choices I make in the
respective routines).