re: help with x

At 07:37 PM 8/31/1998 -0400, Brian D Kellogg wrote:
>I have kdm starting at bootup to provide a login screen. so crtl-alt
>backspace just restarts the unseen login screen.

I'm too new at Linux/Unix to know how to get around kdm, but I've seen
similar issues on this list. The fix involves starting in single-user mode
and then editting some files that disable kdm. Perhaps someone else can
give you the specifics, or you might search the mail list archives for the
past couple of months (it was recently that I saw the posts). Those
archives can be accessed from http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/. Go
into the debian-user archives for 1998, say around July or August and
search for kdm.

Also, before I got this sent, I noticed that ccg suggested using
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a different virtual console. His suggestion sounds
like a better solution than the single-user option, but I'll go ahead and
send this just as a backup option.

Kent
Kent West			| Technology Support/                 		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|