Re: Compose-key and X11-geometry issues.

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 09:15:35PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > 1. Since upgrading to Debian 2.0 my compose key (Control-. on a normal
> > screen and Control-Scroll-lock in X11) does not work anymore. In X11 I had
> > to run xkeycaps to restore it, but I do not know how to restore it in for
> > normal use.  My .inputrc looks like this:
>
> Is ctrl-period defined as the compose key (see "dumpkeys")?

No. There are just the references to the different characters that can be
formed by using compose e.g.

keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
alt_is_meta
compose '`' 'A' to 'À'
compose '`' 'a' to 'à'

How do I define the compose key?  According to the
Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.gz Control-period is the default Compose Key.
That was the case in Debian 1.3.1.

I am using the US keyboard definition.  Do I have to change to some
European keyboard?

> > 2. It took me a long time to customize settings for xterm, pine and emacs
> > for X11 using Debian 1.3.1.  Now those settings have no effect under
> > Debian 2.0.  I do not know how to get that right again.  I hope that using
> > Linux does not mean that I have to all the configuration over again every
> > time I do an upgrade.  My .xsession and .Xdefaults - files are apparently
> > ignored by X.
>
> "mv .Xdefaults .Xresources" and make sure you have "allow-user-resources"
> and "allow-user-xsession" in /etc/X11/config .

My .Xdefaults and .Xresource have the same contents:
-----------------------------
*XmTextField.translations: #override\n\
      <Key>osfDelete: delete-next-character()
XTerm*utmpInhibit: false
emacs.font: 7x14
emacs.geometry: 85x30
xpdf.geometry:80x32
pine.geometry: 101x32
xterm.geometry: 101x32
lynx.geometry:101x32k
---------------------------

Here is the contents of my /etc/X11/config:
-------------------------------------
run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
#start-xdm
#xdm-start-server
no-xdm-start-server
no-start-xdm

I still seems that X is ignoring it.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     " ...Take heed, and beware of covetousness; for a man's
      life consisteth not in the abundance of the things
      which he possesseth."       Luke 12:15