Re: *H*E*L*P* (fwd)

> From: "!Rider@VenomNET!" <rider@tricom.net>
> Subject: *H*E*L*P*

> I am not writting because I want to write a FAQ. I am writting to
> you because I can't find anyone else to write to! Please, you have
> to help me!!!

Ouch, you sound a little despirate my friend.

> 	I bought 4 CD's of Debian from CheapBytes. I installed the
> CD's everything was very confusing but I somehow managed to install
> Debian and get it working with Windows 95 on the same computer.

Sounds like you've made your first steps into a larger world.
Congratulations!

> Now, I tried my level best to learn a few commands of Linux. But I
> think it is simply impossible. I have downloaded the Debian Manual.
> I am still searching for a way to access my drives.

Drives -- I'm assuming you're speaking of your floppy and CDROM -- can
be accessed using the 'mount' and 'umount' commands (for 'mount' and
'unmount' respectively).  The floppy drive device is typically
/dev/fd0 and the CDROM -- if set up as master on the secondary IDE
channel -- is /dev/hdc.  To access the floppy, you would type the
command:

    mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

This would allow you to see the contents of the floppy by using 'cd'
to change to the '/floppy' directory in your root.  Once you are
finished looking at your floppy use the umount command like this:

    umount /floppy

A similar method can be used to mount the CDROM.  (SEE ALSO:
CDROM-HOWTO, man pages: mount, umount)

> I don't even know how to copy files in this Operating System. It
> seems that this operating system is very cAsE-SeNsEtIvE!

I believe Igor mentioned "Linux for Dummies"... Great book!  I
recommend it to any newcomer.  (I was one of those unfortunate souls
who didn't own a computer of my own during college and was forced to
learn UNIX on a vt100 terminal without the aid of a book...  I loved
it!)  Also, pick up a "Quick reference" card for Unix or Linux at one
of your local computer suppliers.  (I actually bought mine at a
college bookstore.)  But, to get you started...

	cp <file1> <file2>	Copies file1 to file2.
	mv <file1> <file2>	Moves file1 to file2 (also used to
					rename files).
	ls <dir>		Lists the directory contents
	more <file>		Views the contents of a file 1-pg/time
	less <file>		A nicer 'more'

See 'man <cmd>' for more details.

There's also a useful little thing called a pipe ('|').  With it, you
can view the directory contents in a page-by-page format...

	ls <dir> | more

That should get you started, but you sould seriously visit your local
library or bookstore for a more comprehensive intro...

> I read many FAQ's but all the FAQ's tell you is that Linus Para...
> made Linux with a bunch of Hackers! Then it tells you how good
> Linux is and how bad windows 95 is. But I haven't come across a
> single Help file or a FAQ that actually tells you how to use this
> Operating System.

Hackers?! * grin *  And they did a damned good job of it, too. :)
Yes, Linux can be a bit daunting at times, but believe me, it's well
worth the sweat and blood you put into it.

[...snip pnp discussion...Igor answered that as well as any...]

Chewie / Gunnarr
| Chad Walstrom <gunnarr@itasca.net> |
| http://www.itasca.net/~gunnarr     |