Re: sound card

On 28 Aug, Brian Morgan wrote:
> Running debian 2.0 / 2.0.34 (stable) and having trouble getting my sound
> card to work.  I can get the cd rom player in X to run, but not through
> the sound card.  I didn't see anything in the device drivers setup when
> I installed debian, and wasn't sure how else to get it to work.  It's a
> creative labs soundblaster awe64e.  I installed all the sound files in
> the debian setup (using the easy to use custom menu for setting up:
> WORKS  GREAT!!!), but it still isn't working.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Morgan
> BTW, nice job to all you developers out there who made vast improvements
> to the debian 2.0 setup.  So much easier now than in the frozen
> version!  I installed everything I needed right from the start
> (including x, samba, and mucho other packages . . .no problem!)  Look
> out NT!

You'll need to patch the kernel source and compile a custom kernel;
fortunately, this is a) not hard, and b) well documented in the Sound
Blaster AWE HOWTO, by our very own Marcus Brinkmann and c) there are
Debian packages for everything you'll need.

/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Soundblaster-AWE.gz

(or search Yahoo for "Sound Blaster AWE HOWTO" - the first 22 matches
are to copies of the HOWTO)

This HOWTO made the difference for me - I needed to replace my sound
card, as the old one bumps into my SIMM slots.  The options were yank
half of my RAM (which I had just bought) or replace the sound card, so I
went shopping, and Marcus' excellent HOWTO was the deciding factor in my
getting a SoundBlaster 64 AWE.  Read the HOWTO, follow it, and yell for
help if you get stuck.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College