Re: The GNU/Linux Desktop Alternative

Office-Product:

One of the major office-products for Linux is StarOffice
(www.stardiv.com) which is quite for commercial use (I guess something
around $ 80 including manual and service; for noncommercial use, its
free). I use StarOffice 4.0 (Service-Release 3) for quite a time now and
its stable and good to use.

If you need a nice Desktop, there is (besides the old Caldera-Desktop)
the KDE thing. I dont want to start a flamewar here (some say KDE is
based on Qt-libs and due to library-reasons not fully GPL and therefore
a BAD thing - that means you have to buy the commercial qt-lib if you
want to DEVELOP commercial applications; use of qt-based apps like all
the KDE progs is totally free) but KDE is the best choice for a
"Windows-like" desktop. There is a desktop based on GPL called Gnome,
but they are quite far away from Version 1 (means not even beta till
now) which is also nice - but its not finished yet.

I dont know, when you need all those things. But you can get KDE and
even a licence for Staroffice if you stick to Caldera Linux (as far as I
know, both are included in their distribution - www.caldera.com).

Gernot
Gernot Bauer               Salzburger Kredit- und Wechsel-Bank AG
eMail: org@skwb.co.at (Office)       Makartplatz 3, 5020 Salzburg
Home: Gernot.Bauer@jk.uni-linz.ac.at               Austria/Europe
                                         Phone: ++43-662-8684-364
The answer is yes, me.                     Fax:  ++43-662-8684-23