RE: set clock to GMT?

-----deleted discussion on GMT

> By the way, (for anybody listening) when I live my PC on for
> several days
> I have found that the hardware clock and th system time
> differ in HOURS.
> Is that OK? Should I use cron to update the hardware clock
> every now and then?

Rafa,

Generally, I think setting the hardware clock from software is not
a good idea unless you have gotten the current software time
from some other reliable source.  My understanding of the software
clock is that it will always drift by some amount due to system
activities.

The hardware clock should be more accurate than the software clock.
If your hardware clock is going off by hours, I would tend to
suspect the hardware clock itself (the chip or its power supply).
Then you would want to use the hardware clock to periodically update
your system software clock.

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com