Re: As user: swap capslock/cntrl?

Anders Hammarquist wrote (Fri, 28 Aug 1998 19:45:20 +0200 ):

|>I think you can swap them in the console as well by using loadkeys. I'm
|>afraid I can't offer you any help as to how to go about doing it though.

so i'll shamelessly use this as a segue to a question i've had for a
while.  i've actually accomplished this by running 'loadkeys -d' after
changing /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/defkeymap.map.  the following
lines:

keycode  29 = Control
keycode  58 = Caps_Lock

were changed to:

keycode  29 = Caps_Lock
keycode  58 = Control

since this works so well, i decided to try to roll my own kernel with
the key table in that file.  so i run 'loadkeys -d -m' to generate
defkeymap.c and recompile the kernel.  for some reason the key
bindings don't take.  am i doing this correctly?  has anyone else
accomplished such a feat?  thanks.

-alan