Re: As user: swap capslock/cntrl?

>How do I swap the capslock and control keys on a standard PC keyboard as a
>user only?  (not as root)

Under X, you do it with xmodmap. To quote the xmodmap manpage:

     One of the more irritating differences between keyboards  is
     the  location  of the Control and Shift Lock keys.  A common
     use of xmodmap is to swap these two keys as follows:

          !
          ! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
          !
          remove Lock = Caps_Lock
          remove Control = Control_L
          keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
          keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
          add Lock = Caps_Lock
          add Control = Control_L

So, stick those lines in a file, and run xmodmap on that file.

I think you can swap them in the console as well by using loadkeys. I'm
afraid I can't offer you any help as to how to go about doing it though.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40