Re: Custom boot Disk Creation?

On 28 Aug, Young, Ed wrote:

> I'll bet this has been covered, and I feel shame for not knowing and not
> being able to find out how, but
> How do I create a custom boot disk? Is there a utility, or just a sequence
> of steps?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Ed

The package you want it boot-floppies.  Be warned, there are some
things you need that are not listed in the dependencies for the
package.  Among other things, the kernel you are running when you build
the boot disks needs to have loopback support, minix filesystem
support, and possibly a couple of other things I've now forgotten.
Worse, an upgrade to the boot-floppies package replaced the Makefile I
had customized with a standard one, so I'm not positive about
everything I changed to make it work.  You'll also need a local copy of
the Debian archive, probably on CD-ROM (I NFS mounted our local mirror
and that worked, too).

The boot-floppies package isn't as easy to use out of the box as many
of the other Debian packaged items are, but it does make nice boot
disks (I built a set for my laptop when PCMCIA support on the boot
disks was broken).

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College