Re: Help with Smartlist + Sender: root

On Fri, Aug 28, 1998 at 01:42:14PM +0200, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> However, this would perhaps encourage the bad habit of using the root
> account for sending mail. Another thing you could do would be to tell the
> NT user not to use the root account for sending mail ;-)

I have asked arround, and it's the NT MTA that's setting the Sender field to
"Sender: root@". The user swears he's sending the mail from a regular
account using Netscape Mail.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it. Digging into the manual, I found
this:

  SmartList usually does not accept submissions or subscriptions from
  daemons. If you'd like to make an exception for some, you can do this by
  tuning the daemon_bias variable. A sample template can be found in the
  rc.init file. This variable can of course be set in the rc.init, rc.custom
  or rc.local files. Instead of directly specifying a weight and a regexp,
  you can just specify a weight. You'll then have to make sure that the
  variable is set only when mail from your special daemons arrives.

The scary regexp that procmail uses to decide that something is coming from
a daemon (FROM_DAEMON) includes a test to catch "Sender:.*root". I want to
keep all the tests but this one. What I can't find now is a reference to
"weighting" in the procmail manpages. How's the weight suppossed to work?

	daemon_bias = 0 Sender:.*root
                      ^
                      What do I put here. A higher number to get the regexp
                      recognized as a daemon or a lower number to get it NOT
                      recognized as a daemon.

Thanks again,

					Marcelo