multiple problems

I have a copy of Debian 1.3 that came with an issue of Boot Magazine. After
about 15-20 attempts to install X from the CD, I decided that this version
of Debian and/or X must not support my graphics card which is an ATI
All-In-Wonder-Pro. So I downloaded Hamm.

Hamm itself installed flawlessly. I thought my problems were solved until I
tried to download the latest version of X. My problems are:
1. what packages do I need to download to get X to work???  I would like to
use the Win95 look alike window manager
2. I tried to set up PPP to connect to the internet to get the packages
that way but I couldn't figure out how to configure my modem(US Robotics
56k...not the win only modem)
3. how do I setup my graphics card??
4. how do I setup my Linksys PCI Lan Card II ethernet card??????
5. later...I will need WINE...any suggestions from the start

I would very much appreciate any help that anyone has to offer

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Charles C Perry