file-rc vs. sysV init (was: enabling bootpc at startup)

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 08:19:34AM +0200, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> On: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:11:30 -0500 the lone gunman writes:
> >
> > On my Debian 1.3 system, I installed the package which removes the
> > sysV style init scripts and installs the /etc/runlevel.conf system.
> > I did not see this package in my hamm install.  Did I overlook it?
>
> Yes, it's called file-rc and to be found in stable/main/admin.
>
> BTW: Search the package file for runlevel.conf and you will find it.

Why is file-rc not the default, just out of curiosity.  I found it
much more intuitive, and a bit easier and faster to maintain.  The
default sysV init scripts took me a bit longer to figure out.

I would install file-rc agian, but I have a worry.  I noticed when
updating/installing new packages with file-rc installed, I get a *LOT*
of errors that are something like:

update-rc.d: integer expected

or something leading me to believe that dpkg still tries to run the
"update-rc.d" script used in a sysV init system, while "update-rc.d"
is obsolete if file-rc is used.

Any comments on this?  Is this perhaps fixed in Hamm?

Thanks