Re: What is a magic number?

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:32:05AM -0700, Michael Rudmin wrote:
> More specifically, a magic number is an identifier described in the Point-to-point protocol.  It is a specific packet that is
> used to determine when a system is looped back to itself.

hmm oh...
that too :) same principal :)
I didn't see in the original message that he was asking specifically about
ppp

>    What this has to do with the original question -- restoring a hard drive -- though, is beyond me.  I think that the original questioner
> was asking more for a "magic wand" that would make his hard-drive better.

Hmm no Magic numbers would apply...
I am sure the ext2fs filesystem must have some things in it
that could be used to identify structures....
I know very little about the filesystem itself tho...anyone have any pointers
to info on it? (other then /usr/src/linux/fs/ext2/*.c ;) )

-STeve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"