Re: error message at booting time

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, htyj wrote:

> When my linux boot up, the following message make me uncomfortable.
>
> 1. Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
> I don't have a SCSI card. How can I get rid of this line?

Simple.  Buy a WD-7000 SCSI card ;-)

Or recompile the kernel to include only drivers for hardware that you
have.  The standard kernel included with Debian tries to fit everybody's
hardware, including people with WD-7000 cards.

To recomplie the kernel, you need to install the kernel-source package,
gcc, and some other packages.  You should also install kernel-package and
use that to compile the kernel.  It will automatically generate a .deb of
the kernel image that you build, that can be easily installed (and
uninstalled when you build and install another kernel version) with dpkg.

To do this, install these packages, cd to /usr/doc/kernel-package and read
the files in that directory, especially the ones named "README".

> 2. Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 hda2
>  hdc:hdc: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>  [PTBL] [523/255/63] hdc1 hdc2 < hdc5 >
>
> Does the above lines indicate an error? What do these mean? Why I have a
> hdc5(I only have 1 FAT32 primary partition and 1 FAT 16 extended
> partition with 1 logical drive on my 2nd harddisk)?

Messages like that look frightening.  Maybe they are quite harmless, I
don't really know.  Check the cabling first, maybe it's not plugged in
very well.

Cheers,

Joost