Re: X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 schulte@Uni-Wuppertal.DE wrote:

> According to Hamish Moffatt:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 23, 1998 at 07:36:13PM +0200, schulte@Uni-Wuppertal.DE wrote:
> > > I had a perfectly working X environment. After a routinely e2fsck
> > > (done by the boot scripts) with a few error reports for my root partition
> > > (/usr, /var/ home are separate), I get the following messages and X
> > > then dies:
> > >
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > (... a very lot of them)
> > >
> > > I re-installed xbase and the xserver - no success.
> > > Anybody has a clue? Where to find the error message?
> > > What to do?
> >
> > Hmmm. What are the permissions on /tmp? Should be drwxrwxrwxt; if
> > not, this can break it. It could be anything, but this is one I know can be
> > a problem. In the Debian 1.1 & 1.2 days I would find the permissions
> > on /tmp were reset regularly but fortunately this has not
> > happened in 1.3 or 2.0!
>
> Thank you for you reply. /tmp is just a link to /arch/tmp/ (/arch is my
> local Debian mirror) and the permissions are just as you told above.
>
> It's really strange (BTW, accidentally I have just replaced my K5-PR166
> by a K6-233 - but I can't believe that to be a reason for error. I have
> a W95 partition (which I really only use to just test wine ;-) and there
> seem to be no hardware problems with the Hercules Terminator graphics card.)
>
> Anybody knows where to find the error messages?

Error 111 is just a socket error: Connection refused. I get them in my
own software if I run a client that connects to a socket before I run
the server that creates the socket.

See ECONNREFUSED in the man page for connect(2).

Wrong permission for /tmp is a very likely candidate for X problems as
X revolves around /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 which is a socket. But there are
plenty of other errors that will result in the same symptom, 111.

I run startx as a bash function:
function startx
{
    echo Starting X
    /usr/bin/X11/startx 2> ~/.startx.stderr
}
which has the great advantage that you can study .startx.stderr at your
leisure. Typically the real error message precedes the 111 error in that
file, and sod's law dictates that the former will have scrolled off the
screen.

Cheers,