Re: X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect

According to Hamish Moffatt:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 1998 at 07:36:13PM +0200, schulte@Uni-Wuppertal.DE wrote:
> > I had a perfectly working X environment. After a routinely e2fsck
> > (done by the boot scripts) with a few error reports for my root partition
> > (/usr, /var/ home are separate), I get the following messages and X
> > then dies:
> >
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > (... a very lot of them)
> >
> > I re-installed xbase and the xserver - no success.
> > Anybody has a clue? Where to find the error message?
> > What to do?
>
> Hmmm. What are the permissions on /tmp? Should be drwxrwxrwxt; if
> not, this can break it. It could be anything, but this is one I know can be
> a problem. In the Debian 1.1 & 1.2 days I would find the permissions
> on /tmp were reset regularly but fortunately this has not
> happened in 1.3 or 2.0!

Thank you for you reply. /tmp is just a link to /arch/tmp/ (/arch is my
local Debian mirror) and the permissions are just as you told above.

It's really strange (BTW, accidentally I have just replaced my K5-PR166
by a K6-233 - but I can't believe that to be a reason for error. I have
a W95 partition (which I really only use to just test wine ;-) and there
seem to be no hardware problems with the Hercules Terminator graphics card.)

Anybody knows where to find the error messages?

Bye
kws

--
Dr. Karl-Wilhelm Schulte
Bergische Universitaet-GH/HRZ (Computing Center)