Re: Why hurd ? was (What is hurd?)

*- Thomas Malloy wrote about "Why hurd ? was  (What is hurd?) "
| 	ALPHA	    SPARC   	i386 	HURD
| 	Which one of these things is not like the other?
|
| Since hurd is an operating system and not an architecture why does debian release packages for it.
| I thought DEBIAN was a distribution of linux, which runs on various hardware platforms.  I have no
| objection to the hurd project.  It is quite worth while on its own merits, but  what does it have to do
|  with linux or debian?

The Hurd is a kernel not an OS. My take on this is that Debian is a
collection of apps and their philosophy of package managment and the
DFSG.  The real name of Debian is 'Debian GNU/Linux', with the Hurd
kernel it will just be 'Debian GNU/Hurd' but all the top level will be
the same.  The package managment the DFSG, etc will be identical.

I may be wrong but that's what I have gathered.
--
Brian
							   - unknown