Re: X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect

On Sun, Aug 23, 1998 at 07:36:13PM +0200, schulte@Uni-Wuppertal.DE wrote:
> I had a perfectly working X environment. After a routinely e2fsck
> (done by the boot scripts) with a few error reports for my root partition
> (/usr, /var/ home are separate), I get the following messages and X
> then dies:
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> (... a very lot of them)
>
> I re-installed xbase and the xserver - no success.
> Anybody has a clue? Where to find the error message?
> What to do?

Hmmm. What are the permissions on /tmp? Should be drwxrwxrwxt; if
not, this can break it. It could be anything, but this is one I know can be
a problem. In the Debian 1.1 & 1.2 days I would find the permissions
on /tmp were reset regularly but fortunately this has not
happened in 1.3 or 2.0!

Hamish