Replacing tar

It is late, and I am at a loss.  I have been having difficuties with dselect, but when I run ==debug, it usually works so I do not know what the problem is.  I have tried un-tarring a file, and I get absolutely nothing.  I have downloaded another tar.deb file, but I keep getting the same error (malloc, cannot allocate memory) so I cannot even replace the old tar file.  May I get a clue as to where I should go please?  Thank you.
Randy