Lilo and 2 disk drives

Debs:

I have two hard drives, partitioned this way:

/dev/hda1 dos partition
/dev/hda4 Redhat
/dev/hdb2 Debian

Here's my lilo.conf, sitting on /dev/hda:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=100
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=redhat
	root=/dev/hda4
	read-only
other=/dev/hda2
	label=dos
	table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz-debian
	label=debian
	root=/dev/hdb1
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
	label=old-redhat
	root=/dev/hda4
	read-only

As you can see, I have a Debian boot image sitting on the Redhat
partition, which is the only way that lilo will do it. If I change the
debian part to:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=debian
	root=/hdb1
	read-only

and run lilo, it complains that it can't find that kernel image.

It looks like a Linux kernel image file *must* be on the drive being
booted from. But it seems like I *should* be able to have to kernel image
on the root partition of the second hard drive if I want.

Question: Any way around this? Any way to leave the Debian image on the
Debian hard drive and still have lilo run properly? Did I do something
wrong or miss something in the docs?

Paul